Fashion Trend Update - Fall2012 / Spring2013
Posted on September 12, 2012 by Harlequin&Lionhead
|Image credit: http://newagexbrainwash.com|
If you have read my trend summary from earlier this year, you will see that the early prediction for Fall has become a guide for mainstream commercial fashion and some of these trends may have already taken over your wardrobe. And a lot of it are here to stay for spring 2013!
First off, a recap of Fall must haves:
1) Silhouettes - iron lady (update - suits, peplums are still here, adding full skirts now, restraint elegance, specifically buttoned up or closed colars), modern military, global aristocrate, chic sportsman (sportswear rules!), matrix PLUS roomy 20s and 80s jacket and slouchy pants look (updated)
2) Materials - FUR, or rather faux fur! (update) Leather, ultra-feminine lace, velvet, AND lots of jeweled embellishments! (updated)
3) Colors - Stark black and gold contrasts, white, burgundy and LOTS of RED
4) Patterns - (updated) Opulent floral patterns are more romantic and dark. Also latticework or tiled toned down smaller patterns on suits, coats and pants. Symmetrical images or geometrical shapes creating curvy illusions
|From top to bottom, left to right: Balmain, Rick Owens, Givenchy, L'Wren, Jason Wu, Dolce&Gabbana, Max Mara, Lavin, Giles|
Where do I get a good how-to-wear guide of some of these trends:
Then a quick snapshot of Spring/Summer 2013 from the ongoing NYFW:
So far it is a bit sedated compared to the popping colors of the previous SS collections. There are some colors here and there but used quite strategically in the shows. Seems like it is all saved for the crazy nail art! Ok, here are some key highlights so far...
1) Tough romanticism (or BDSM inspired) leather and lace (really?!)
2) The Jazz Age is here to stay
4) Globe Trotting (it kinda faded out in the fall, and I'm not exactly sure if I like the latest DVF collection so you decide...)
5) African influence in color
6) Black fading into blues, coral, and nude
9) Color blocking and geometry
|From top to bottom, left to right: Tibi, Tracey Reese, Giulietta, Prabal Gurung, Helmut Lang, BCBG, Lela Rose, Rachel Zoe, Calvin Klein|
Where do I get a good look at the designers examples of these trends:
Go to MBFW Facebook page!
More to come after the FW and remember, you can watch it from the comfort of your desk (no tickets required!) on the Fashion Week youtube channel!
And I'll be putting together my new collection pinterest boards soon. So go check it out later.